Saturday, June 30, 2012

I survived!

That's right folks, I survived Trek! Although I have no pictures to show you (I didn't want to ruin my camera, I forgot to have my mom take a before picture, and I showered the second I got home and then fell asleep) I have stories!

My main worry was my family. On the bus ride to the starting point, I was freaking out. I was over thinking the whole ordeal and I was almost going into a panic attack. When we lined up after the buses dropped us off, and Trail Boss Ted announced that we were going to announce families, my stomach was in knots. One by one, all of my friends were called up. I was one of the last ones called. I was called into the Curtis family. I walked up to them and awkwardly started checking them out, freaking out a bit. And then my beloved Ethan Crawford came up from the back of the group and hugged me. I was so happy to have one of my best friends in my Trek family, and I knew even if these kids were complete jerks, I would still have fun.

We sat on our buckets and started playing get-to-know-you-games and talked to each other. My worries slowly melted, and I realized that these kids were really cool. I had no idea who any of them were, but I was pleasantly surprised. Once we got on the trail, it was a bit awkward at first. I was holding a fake baby a leader had given us (nicknamed Lardo because she was so fat) and everyone else was pulling. We pulled in silence for about fifteen minutes, then started talking. I don't even know what we talked about on the first day. The only memory of the trail was me spitting and it accidentally hitting Doug. And of me pulling in the front of the handcart. I have the memory of a goldfish.

It was really weird at first, being thrown with these kids that you had never even seen in your life, and you're expected to spend practically every waking moment together. You slept next to each other, you ate with each other, you pulled a handcart together, then you set up camp and it started all over again. I only talked to Landry and Desi a couple times. But it was okay, because my family was seriously perfect for me.

We bonded quickly, and on the second day, we were singing songs and playing games on the trail. It still kind of amazes me. We were all so different, and we got along so well.

I had many amazing, fun and spiritual experiences at Trek. But, they're too personal for me to share. Or they're too powerful for me to share. What I can share is that I absolutely know that the Church is true. Why the heck would pioneers travel 1000 miles across the dangerous, hot, dirty plains to reach Zion? Why would a bunch of teenagers that are addicted to air conditioning and technology hike 30 miles with no cell phones, TV or even a real shelter for three days? It's true, and Trek has strengthened my testimony in so many ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment